Medicare and United health Care

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Re: Medicare and United health Care

Postby RDTELMAN on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Central Massachusetts Verizon Retirees- a call to action. In recent months UMASS Memorial Healthcare has been sending letters urging United Heathcare Medicare Advantage Plan holders (us and AARP) to switch to " their participating plans" list. They have sent out another round of letters saying you have a limited time, until March 31, to switch coverage to a plan they participate in- Blue Cross Medicare HMO, Fallon, or Harvard Pilgrim Stride. Apparently they are booting us out UHC covered patients. I am tired of them harassing my disabled wife every time we walk through the door with " WE don't take that insurance " routine and then receive a captulation and a "okay, we take that for now". To be publicly vilified for going to the dr is rediculous.
Verizon Retirees that are affected please call Jack Cohen at Association of Belltel Retirees if you are affected. He needs NUMBERS in order to act on this. If you are affected call BELLTEL RETIREES AT 631-367-3067.
RDTELMAN
CEO
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:16 am

Re: Medicare and United health Care

Postby vz353 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am

October this year I will turn 65 and transfer to the MA plan offered by VZ.
I need to stay in the system so my spouse can keep her insurance. Since the MA plan only covers 80% [ just like regular Medicare ] can I buy a supplement to cover the remaining 20% ???
vz353
CEO
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Medicare and United health Care

Postby sarah_fGTE on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:15 pm

vz353 wrote:Since the MA plan only covers 80% [ just like regular Medicare ] can I buy a supplement to cover the remaining 20% ???

No. The "MA" plan is a Medicare Advantage plan. Folks enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan (Verizon's or any other) are not allowed to also have a Medicare Supplement (Medigap) plan.
sarah_fGTE
Manager
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Medicare and United health Care

Postby Broken Man on Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:27 pm

vz353 wrote:October this year I will turn 65 and transfer to the MA plan offered by VZ.
I need to stay in the system so my spouse can keep her insurance. Since the MA plan only covers 80% [ just like regular Medicare ] can I buy a supplement to cover the remaining 20% ???


This is not the case. Wait until you have your plan info to see what your MA plan pays, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. A select few things do require a 20% co-insurance, but so many other things are much cheaper than 20%. Our co-pay for a doctor's visit is $5. That figure is less than 5% of an office visit.

Here in Florida I have Humana MA PPO plan which has no premium other that the Medicare Part B ($135.50 for each; myself and wife). I am retired Verizon management, 33 years service.

I was offered 4 medical plans for this year. Two were thru Humana (an HMO and a PPO), both were free (except Part B premium), and two plans from United Healthcare. They were not free, but the 2019 premiums were less than the 2018 premiums. Pretty nice thing when your insurance premium goes down.

United Healthcare was in the news last year concerning their shrinking their networks; a smaller network helps UHC, but reduces their customer's options.

Also review your copy of Medicare and You when you receive it so you will know how Medicare works, use the rules to help you, lack of knowing the rules can cost you extra dollars, and time.

Good Luck!

Broken Man
Broken Man
CEO
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:46 am

Re: Medicare and United health Care

Postby vz353 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Thank You Broken Man,,,

I'm also retired Management in Florida with 30yrs +,,, I will be looking forward to the material and reviewing it carefully.

Again, this board is a wealth of information.

Thanks Joe !
vz353
CEO
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Previous

Return to Retiree Benefits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron