Tampa retirees losing FIOS discount

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Tampa retirees losing FIOS discount

Postby sarah_fGTE on Fri May 18, 2018 9:09 am

Several GTE/Verizon retirees in the Tampa area have been notified by Frontier that their retiree FIOS discounts have been terminated. Bills have jumped around $60 per month. Is this also happening in CA and TX? What, if anything, have those affected been able to do to minimize the increase? The only option we've been given is to lower our TV channel package. No retention discount has been offered. We felt fortunate when the discounts survived the Verizon/Frontier transition. I guess the other shoe has now dropped.
sarah_fGTE
Manager

Re: Tampa retirees losing FIOS discount

Postby MValcourt on Sat May 19, 2018 5:12 am

I live in the Davenport area and have not yet been notified about discount termination for Fios. If Frontier does terminate the discount i will switch to Spectrum/BrightHouse which is excellent in my area.
MValcourt
Lineman (Person)

Postby jer on Sat May 19, 2018 10:13 am

I received my bill last week and was hit with the increase. Called Frontier and verified as they go thru auditing their accounts, the Verizon/GTE discount is being removed. I went with the triple play which actually gives me more than what I have and it should split the difference, going up about $25/mo. Waiting for the bill next month as I know what I am told and what could happen may be two different things.
jer
Manager

Postby TX Employee on Sun May 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Its not just the retirees that are losing the FiOS discount. I am an active Texas employee and have also been notified that my bill would be going up and it did like over $60. So in essence I lost my grandfathered Verizon discount, So I called their retention dept and was able to negotiate a better price. The Frontier retention dept is only open M-F, not on the weekends. You have to tell their retention dept you can NOT AFFORD Frontier prices and if they can not negotiate a better price, you will be taking your business elsewhere. They gave me a "loyalty discount". One thing the retention rep did mention, is they can work with you more on pricing if you keep the triple play versus downsizing to the double play package. One other thing to keep in mind, the old Verizon Fios Quatum Ultimate HD pkg (which is what I have in TX) has more channels than the Frontier Quantum HD package they offer. Good Luck, you have choices.
TX Employee
CEO

Return to Retiree Benefits