Who or what led you to join the phone company?

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Who or what led you to join the phone company?

Postby (mis)Management on Tue May 14, 2013 3:46 pm

More important, what enticed you to stay for decades within the Bell System?

For many it may have been a supportive family atmosphere, trust, loyalty and the guarantees from an employer who vowed to stand by its workforce. But how times are changing!

For one NYNEX retiree who came from a long family heritage of telephone company employees, it was the belief that the company was a secure place to work.

In this week's retiree video, Telephone Family Tree, Robert Simpson explains that the company he grew up believing in is now turning its back on people like you and him, who dedicated their lives to making Verizon great.

Tune into the Association of BellTel Retiree's YouTube channel video of the week and support your Association by getting fellow retirees, friends and family regularly watching and subscribing to the free service. The more people who know about Verizon retirees' concerns, the greater the impact we can have for you!

http://www.youtube.com/user/BellTelRetirees
(mis)Management
Board Historian

Re: Who or what led you to join the phone company?

Postby maggiekate on Tue May 14, 2013 11:00 pm

When I got out of high school in South Boston I was told go to the phone company for a job.
I did and did start as an operator and could not stand the job then did go into clecical work etc.
yes, they really did care the day I did start I had a bad sunburn and was sent home.
times change
maggiekate
Supervisor

Postby East Line on Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Had,what I thought at 17, a great factory job making $120 a week. My Dad,who worked for what we then called " The company" NET&T, told me I should go to work for them. First job I was offered was a night cleaning crew in Lawrance Ma for $68 a week, I said no he was not happy! After some weeks I got 2 more offers one to be a Lineman in Salem Ma. for $89 a week the second to go live somewhere else if I didn't take the first. So in December of 1968 I started pole climbing school for Ma Bell. Fast forward to 2010 times and the company being VERY different I as a first line construction manager was "persuaded" to leave on October 10TH. It was great working for NET&T good working for Nynex fair working for Bell atlantic sucked working for Vermizon. All things considered my old man was right!
East Line
CEO

Postby vz353 on Tue May 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Dial tone ran in the family. Grandad, father, mother and other family members with GTE & Bell South. I became a member of the GTE family in 1973 following my old man's foot steps.

Man I loved that company... mustard & custard great stuff !!! ;)
vz353
Director

Postby CertifiedSlacker on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 pm

After discharge from the US Air Force in 1967, I worked for ADT Protection Services until the job demands became onerous.

GTE was hiring at that time, so I applied for a switchmans job.
Due to a recent closing of a local electronics firm, there were a bunch of folks hired in the switchmans openings.
But there were openings in Installation & Maintenance, so I took one of those jobs.
Switch room came up with an opening a year or two later, so I bid on that and got it.
My cousin had previously worked for Bell and took me for a tour of our large hometown main office.
I was hooked by its complexity.
Then while spending a summer helping remodel his summer home, I would ride along on call-outs to the rural offices he covered. That cinched it.
After a few years the swithroom routine became tiresome, so I moved to the Construction Dept as a cable splicer.
There I found my real home.
Things were great at GTE.
Then came the "merger", and it was all downhill from there.
Left in 2003, with a sweetened package, from the Engineering Dept as an Access Design Engineer,
at the ripe old age of 57/58 and never looked back.
32 years before the mast.
Free At Last...
CertifiedSlacker
Lineman (Person)

Postby magjen on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:06 pm

My Mom led me to Bell Telephone. My Mom had worked for Bell as an operator from the age of 17 until she was married and pregnant with twins. She earned enough to not only support herself, but also enough to contribute to her mother's household and to help with her younger siblings, and when she was first married her income helped when my Dad, a steelworker, was occasionally laid off. She always talked about when she worked for Bell - how she made such good wages, how customer-centered they were, and how secure her job had been. When I was a senior in high school we got a day off to either go visit a college campus or look for employment. I was undecided about college, figured I would work for a year or two, then figure out what I wanted to be when I was grown up, ha ha. My Mother insisted that I apply at Bell. I took the streetcar into town, went to the Bell employment office, filled out an application and was given a test for operator and service rep and passed both. They told me to call them in two months when I graduated. My Mother insisted I call them every two weeks, even before I graduated, just to keep reminding them I really wanted to work for them. I wasn't really sold, but I did as I was told. I was working for Gold Circle Department Store as a cashier in high school, and after I graduated, I was promoted to head cashier, which I thought was the big time! My mother reminded me every two weeks to call Bell, which I did. A month or so after graduation Bell called while I was out. When I got home, my Mother was beside herself, so excited that I was finally going to get a job at Bell. I called back and the job they offered me was temporary full time Operator position. I told them I already had a permanent full time job, so I wasn't sure I wanted to give it up for a temporary job. The guy told me to think it over and let him know the next day. When I got off the phone and told my Mother, she about had a stroke that I would even consider NOT taking a job, any job, at Bell. She told me in no uncertain terms that no daughter of hers was going to give up the opportunity of a lifetime, and made me call back immediately and accept ANY job they wanted to give me. She truly was so proud that I had followed in her footsteps and often told me that if I just did what was expected, I would have a good paying job for life. I really did love my jobs, operator, clerical, service rep, trainer, manager. My Mom was right - it was a good paying job, but it wasn't for life. Around 2007 I just found myself on Sundays dreading that I had to go back to work the next day. It wasn't the same company, but I was the same employee, and it just wasn't a good fit anymore so I whispered very often that I was open to a RIF. I "volunteered" three times, and finally got it the third time in 2008. My Mom was mostly right and I am glad I took her strong-arm advice.
RIF'd/Retired/Couldn't be happier!
magjen
CEO

Return to Retiree Benefits