Verizon Medical plan or VA Medical

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Verizon Medical plan or VA Medical

Postby fGTE All The Way on Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Hello folks. I have a question to see if there is any others on the board with this same predicament. I was recently awarded a VA disability rating which entitles me access to VA medical care. My disability rating was from my active duty days of 1973 to 1977. Yeah, believe it or not. Anyway, I live in Kentucky, retired management from Verizon, on Medicare and take lots of meds. VA healthcare pretty well pays for everything. Especially medications. That's my main reason, since I'm diabetic and even with Express Scripts, I'm still out of pocket too much money in my opinion. So my main question, is there anyone on here that goes to VA but still keeps their Verizon insurance as a fall back, so to speak. Thanks.
fGTE All The Way
Lineman (Person)

Re: Verizon Medical plan or VA Medical

Postby brooklyn on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:50 pm

I am retired management from New York and I currently have a 100% disability rating from the VA. I also continue to have the Verizon Medicare advantage plan for two reasons, the first being that my wife isn't of medicare age yet and I need to continue her BC/BS coverage from Verizon for a couple more years. The second reason is that I have had three major surgeries in the past few years, none at the VA. I don't believe they offer the best available care and I wanted the flexibility to choose my own facility and surgeon. That being said, I have taken advantage of many VA benefits including the free prescriptions, vaccinations, dental and more.
brooklyn
Supervisor

Return to Retiree Benefits