Info about the "sickness benefit" from Bell Atlantic

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Info about the "sickness benefit" from Bell Atlantic

Postby xmendax on Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Just thought I would pass along some information for those in the NE who qualified back in the 80s for the "Sickness Benefit". It pays the equivalent of one years pay ( at that time) upon the employee's death. There is a "quirk", the money is only payable to a surviving spouse ( you have to furnish last year's tax return to prove you were living together), or if you have a disabled child who got disabled before the age of 23, or if you are supporting a parent. The money is jealously guarded by whomever is holding it. The package comes with pages and pages of instructions on how to fill it out, and will be rejected if not filed out to the letter. Benefits in Virginia will walk you through the process, I would recommend doing that. The one thing that surprised me is that they allowed me to roll over the money to my IRA. My husband passed away in January. I also am a qualified employee for this benefit, however it won't be paid out due to the fact I have no spouse. My child might be able to collect a few hundred dollars for funeral expenses, but that will be it.
xmendax
CEO

Re: Info about the "sickness benefit" from Bell Atlantic

Postby sarah_fGTE on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 am

My condolences for your loss.
sarah_fGTE
Manager

Postby xmendax on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 am

Thank you..
xmendax
CEO

Postby diane672 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank you for the information. My condolences and prayers for your loss. I contacted Benefits and I was on the payroll before 1986 however I did not qualify since I changed to management 5 years before retirement in 2003 and I had to be off payroll by 2001 to qualify..
diane672
Coin Collector

Return to Retiree Benefits