VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

Re: VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Postby Right Wing on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 am

I have used VIA Benefits https://my.viabenefits.com/ (was OneExchange), which is supported by Verizon for retirees, to compare plans. I don't know if VZ informs recent retirees about it, as I retired 12 years ago. It provides the ability to compare various Medigap, Medicare Advantage, and Drug (part D) plans. There is no cost to the user for going through the site. If you want to talk to a representative, there is no cost for that, but schedule your call with them early, as they have limited reps and their schedule fills up early.
Right Wing
Lineman (Person)

Postby fGTE All The Way on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Question for the board. I will be Medicare eligible mid-year next year, and have a couple of questions for those that have faced the same situation that I will have. I've pretty well figured what to do when I select my coverage. My biggest issue will be, what will happen to my wife's coverage through VZ? She won't be Medicare eligible for another 2 years. Will I still be able to cover her through my VZ plan, or will we have to find something to cover her on the open market? And I don't mean Obummer Care either. Also what becomes of dental? I assume VZ will yank that. What of the life insurance I carry through VZ for my wife? And last, what of my Supplemental Life that provides my base pay with an X factor that my wife was to get if I check out? I'm just trying to get some answers from you folks that know. I've tried talking to a VZ Benefits rep, and since my name isn't on the Medicare list yet, they're not allowed to talk to me. What a crock that is. But I'm not surprised. Can/will somebody give me an idea of what I should expect? Thanks in advance!
fGTE All The Way
Lineman (Person)

Postby Dawg on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 am

Not sure whether you retired as management or non management. In our case we retired in 2003, my wife was non management and I was management. I am covered under her healthcare and she started on Medicare about 2 years before me. During that time I continued to be covered by the non Medicare plan, I believe at the time it was Aetna. When I reached 65 I was moved to the United Health Care Medicare Advantage Plan (Under her plan). We kept both dental and eye care plans and regarding her life insurance she has kept it although after a certain age it has been reduced. Again, this is the non management/ associate contract plan from fBA.
Dawg
Lineman (Person)

Postby fGTE All The Way on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am

Dawg, thanks for your reply. I retired management in 2007. I live in Kentucky and our choices of plans are very restricted. Kentucky is nearly top of the list of most unhealthiest states to live in. Folks here smoke too much, drink too much, and live poor life styles causing Diabetes. So Anthem is the only game in town. No UHC. No Kaiser. I'm just a bit put out with the great VZ benefits center answers to every question I ask. But I'll stay on them and start taking this up the food chain eventually(right, like that's going to do any good) One last thing. You said you still have dental and vision coverage. Is this under your wife's plan from craft? Do I understand this correctly? Thanks again.
fGTE All The Way
Lineman (Person)

Postby Dawg on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes my coverage - medical, dental and vision is from my wife's associate medical plan.
Dawg
Lineman (Person)

Postby vz353 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:38 pm

My understanding is that as long as you stay in the VZ network plans your spouse will be covered by VZ health insurance plans. If you get Medicare coverage somewhere else then she will be dropped. I'm in your same situation next year, I turn 65 in October. I'm from the class of 2003, Fl management.
vz353
CEO

Postby VZ NICE on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:42 am

vz353 wrote:My understanding is that as long as you stay in the VZ network plans your spouse will be covered by VZ health insurance plans. If you get Medicare coverage somewhere else then she will be dropped. I'm in your same situation next year, I turn 65 in October. I'm from the class of 2003, Fl management.

I retired in 2003 and after turning 65 went thru One Exchange to opt for a Sup F plan and a Humana drug plan, while under regular part A&B Medicare. My wife has remained covered under my VZ medical plan all those years and will finally go on Medicare next year. We have also been able to keep our dental coverage for both of us over that period of time since she was on a VZ medical plan. The dental plan will not be available once she goes on Medicare outside of VZ.
VZ NICE
President

Postby Pensioneer on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:07 pm

One Exchange has a Dental Plan for $49 per month that isn't bad.
Pensioneer
Supervisor

Postby TexasDuck on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 am

The Met Live Dental Plan via One Exchange has worked very well for me. My Dr said with all the dental work I have I should keep coverage after 65....and it has been used! Most reviews has Met Life as tops.
TexasDuck
Manager

Previous

Return to Retiree Benefits