VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Questions and answers about medical benefits, severance pay outs. etc.

VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Postby FormerIT on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

I'm Medicare eligible in November.

I can finally see the VZ MA Plan costs and coverage.

The AARP UHC Plan F (no copays or coinsurance) and an AARP Walgreens Part D would actually be about $500 cheaper for me than the VZ MA Plan.

If I leave the VZ MA Plan I also lose dental coverage. As I understand it there are also some vision, hearing, and fitness benefits included which aren't shown in the brief description.

The AARP Plan F will increase in cost at least 3%/year. Anyone have history and can speak to their actual increases?

What would be any other pros and cons of leaving the VZ MA Plan?
FormerIT
Supervisor

Re: VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Postby sarah_fGTE on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 am

I've had the AARP UHC Plan F for three years now. It's annual increases have averaged 3.09%. It's an issue-age rated policy. That means its price is based on the age you were when you first bought the policy. Its annual price increase is based on inflation, but not your advancing age. I've no idea how the Verizon MA plan is priced, but it would be interesting to see what its annual increases have been.
sarah_fGTE
Manager

Re: VZ Medicare Advantage Plan vs Supplemental Plans

Postby FormerIT on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks for the reply Sarah.

Yes as I understand the AARP UHC plans at age 65 you get a 36% discount off the standard rate, at 66 a 33% discount off the standard rate, at 67 a 30% discount off the standard rate, and so on until age 76 when the discount ends. So I figured it was at least a 3% increase per year. If the increase was only 3.09% the standard rate didn't increase much at all.

It would be interesting to see how much the VZ MA plan has increased over time. Anyone?
FormerIT
Supervisor

Return to Retiree Benefits